Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Raping Mother Earth....






I like to pride myself on being able to capture the beauty of the world around me through my lens... but sometimes it is just so very ugly and hateful and violent that even pictures do not do the crime justice, nor words.

I realize it is spring when most people watch and notice the earth coming back to life, rejoicing in the process. However, I always seem to notice the once fertile field being tilled to accept new seed, sitting silent bleeding from the numerous perk test sites where new homes will sprout like weeds.

This particular spring day... it was filled with neglect and violence.... once a beautiful woods, home to so many.... slashed, violently downed ..... look at the photos... tough for me to turn away, tough for me to take in. It breaks my heart. I know the animals that have been displaced.. I hear their cries.... I feel their violation..... smell their fear.... Mother Earth has once again been raped, left exposed and embarrassed for all to drive by and witness....

But she is strong... for look closely in the first of the photos... do you see it? Along the bottom of the frame.... there is green.... she pushes forth new life even in the presence of such truculence. She is a survivor. We have much to learn from her... whenever you get the chance..... listen to her speak.

3 comments:

Johnny Blogger said...

All I've got right now about this, is this:

Ecclesiastes III (King James Version):

3:1 To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:

The rest of this we all know. Maybe this season we too can break free from some of the tentacles of our pasts, the clearcutting of some of our own soul, and edge forward even that slight bit, growing like the grass in the fore.

How can I comment on the pictures...how do I comment on a the toxic culture of affluence that I live....I dunno...so I don't.

truckdriver_sefl said...

Great post full of sadness but hope at the same time. Like what FortySix said.......

~Dragonfly~* said...

I appreciate your comments....

There are some that would claim it is Mother Earth who scars the earth, leaving paths of destruction in its wake through floods, tornadoes, hurricanes, blizzards, wild fires.... I say she is simply reclaiming what is hers.... restoring wetlands that protect... removing homes from flood plains... furrowing the soil, ripping up the sod so that life can once again spring forth.

Humans are all too quick to forget that we are merely a chain in the link... not above nor below any other creature. We are the only creature that takes too much, damages too much, wastes too much... we will do ourselves in, it's just a matter of time.