Sunday, March 22, 2009

In Search of the Colours....









I've been into photography for decades now. In the earlier years I used to develop and process my own black and whites. I enjoyed playing with the shades of gray, controlling the light exposure in the darkroom and altering the initial shot tweaking it to my desire.

Over the years, however, I've had to rely on others to develop my colored films... it has become a lost art turned over to the hands of armatures in places like Walmart and Rite Aid. I've lost more photos to inexperienced hands... once a negative is damaged... there is nothing to do but buy more film and try again.

This... is an expensive practice for me, as I am one to take 100 shots in hopes of getting just one perfect.

So, roughly 4 years ago I decided I would go digital.... but will three kids in college and me a single mom.... the camera I really wanted was out of reach.... until a few weeks ago. For 4 years I've been saving my loose change, money I might receive at birthdays and Christmas and the cash I've earned doing side jobs (carpentry) for friends. It's been a long time coming... but finally a couple weeks ago when I went to visit my son in NH (where they have no sales tax and was able to save 70-80 dollars) I bought my camera!!!!

It's been sitting on my table beaming with quiet intimidation... until today... today ... even though is appears stark and bleak, void of all life... I went out to experiment.... in search of the colours in the woods... and man did I find them!!!

The prize shot of the day? The sunset. My very first sunset with my new digital slr camera!!! As soon as I pushed the shutter button I knew I had captured it and couldn't wait to get home and try to figure out how to transfer the photos to my computer!!! I apparently had forgotten I could actually look at them right then and there on the camera!!!

I've got a lot to learn... but here are some of the colours I found today... hope you enjoy!

7 comments:

Dr. Ethel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
truckdriver_sefl said...

Wow!! I'd say you did find color all right! These are wonderful!!

For me I'd never really had a way to express how I saw the world around me until I discovered photography. It is amazing what we see when we slow down and smell the roses. You are going to love your new camera more than you can imagine. Take a lot of pictures. More than you think you will ever need. It's the beauty of digital you can just delete the ones you do not want to keep! The next thing you know you will be saving for all the different lens and even taking pictures of dragonfly's:-}

~Dragonfly~* said...

One step ahead of you TD.. already been contemplating a micro-lens... :) But that is going to take some time.... :)

Thanks again for the compliments. They mean a lot coming from you.

I'm not sure if you clicked on any of them.... I've discovered that you can click on them and bring them to full size... if you do you can see the red fuzzy brambles beginning to grow over the old foundation...

Drive safe.

Johnny Blogger said...

Incredible series...

46

~Dragonfly~* said...

Thank you 46.... the first couple of the stumps out by the water remind me of octopi spreading their tentacles.

kimmyk said...

what kind of camera did you get?

i love my nikon. i take it everywhere. i got a holga last year for my birthday and finally figured out how to use it so i'll be taking that on vacation next week along with the digital.

enjoy getting out there with your camera. you have a good eye...

looking forward to seeing some of your pics in the future!

~Dragonfly~* said...

I got a Canon EOS... I'll be able to interchange the lens from my regular SLR. I'm really looking forward to experimenting with it.

Thanks for the kudos on my photos...

Where are you going on vacation?