Friday, June 12, 2009

My Dog is Disgusting!!!





Okay... so she is also very cute, having just gotten back from the groomer, prancing about the back yard with her two little pink bows catching the last few rays of sunshine as it slowly sets behind the trees.... but don't be fooled...

I had spent a few weeks preparing for the first big fire of the spring. Plants had been cut back, dead, fallen branches from the winter picked up and stacked, scraps of wood and old rags hard with dried stain from the winter's work in my shop added to the pile... and then there was the first half of the deck removed and ready to be burned.

I had wanted to burn it sooner, but the weather was not cooperating and I was having fun gathering more fuel to make it a respectable event.

In the days prior to the lighting I caught the scent of dead animal coming from the fire pit.... I thought, "Good God, what crawled in there and died?" Figuring it was nothing more than a small rodent I torched the pyre, enjoyed its glow and thought nothing more of it.

Two weeks later I decided to cut up and burn the second half of the deck. Rather impressed with the height of the flames and intensity of the heat the fire generated, I enjoyed watching the flames reduce my pyre to mere ashes as I sipped wine and admired the full moon.

A few days later as I was cutting more boards for the deck I noticed Abbey picking something out of the fire pit and carrying it off to the grass. I wondered what she might have found left in the ashes. She dropped whatever the thing was into the grass and began to roll on it, rub her face on it, making me smile as she wiggled and squirmed playing with her new found toy... and then the stench hit!!!! Oh My God what a stench!!!! It was so foul you had to cover your nose to keep yourself from gagging!

I walked over to the grass to see just what she had... it was the jaw bone from a groundhog. Apparently, my cute little puppy had gotten herself yet another ground hog and buried it in the side of the fire pit... and apparently I cooked it for her!!!

I grabbed a stick to poke around the dirt where she had obviously been digging to see if there were more bones. What I found was oozing, foul, gooey, groundhog guts.... and some bones and hair from the incomplete cremation!!!!

All I had time for at that moment was to bury what was left with dirt and run for the hose and dishwasher soap. No way was she coming into the house for the night with that stench on her!!!!

The gross gooey groundhog guts have since been dug up, bagged, boxed and deposited in the nearest dumpster... and Abbey... my disgusting dog? Well... she managed to get a day at the spa out of the whole thing!!!

3 comments:

Johnny Blogger said...

Woof. The dog is gay with the bows. Is this the added spa touch?
46

~Dragonfly~* said...

Ummm.... SHE is a GIRL!!!! Pink bows would be appropriate after a day at the spa!!!!

She happens to be very proud of HER pink bows!!!

:P

~Dragonfly~* said...

"Gay" would be that hat you walked all around New York in!!!!