Saturday, February 9, 2013

God Whispers....

Ever since I was a child I have felt and been known to have a very strong "sixth sense".

I knew my father had died just watching my mother drive in the driveway from a third story window.

I dreamed that my best friend's daughter was pregnant.  She swore she was not.  I told her to ask her daughter again.  And sure enough she was, both times.

When the boys were little and I'd have strong gut feelings that something would happen, or someone would get hurt...my ex would just say that I worry too much and I should let it go.  EVERY time, I regretted listening to him, because my feelings were always right.

And I could hear Abbey saying, "please" when it was time.

Today people will tell me that I have exceptional intuition.

When I was sharing the story of an intuitive situation with a co-worker she told me that her mother would always say at those time that God was whispering to us.

Wow.

So often I would negate my "gut feelings, intuitions, sixth sense" thinking it was mine.  Not having confidence in my own thoughts....that simple statement has changed me.  I no longer fear them and act on them reminding myself that God is whispering to me....so he must have a reason.  It has given me the confidence and encouragement to act upon the whispers.

Last Saturday, it was so cold, only 17 (of course that was actually rather warm compared to the previous days) and I was out walking.  As I neared home a whisper came to me... it said, "continue walking up the street."  I couldn't explain the strength of the whisper.

I figured I was being told to walk up the street to finally walk through the home that used to be my Grandmother's.  The new owners have been wanting me to stop in and see what they have done, but I just wasn't ready...too many childhood memories.  But this was the day!!!

So I stopped at home just long enough to grab a bottle of wine and tie a ribbon on it.  Didn't want to go unannounced and empty handed.  And I started to walk....

I passed my mother's home and was about to happen upon the next house once owned by my Great Aunt and Uncle. (Yes, it's a family affair here on the edges of the farm.)  The latest owners were obviously in some sort of state of moving and no one knew why.  Just as I approached the property Frank (also my Great Uncle's name) walked out from the garage.

Another whisper...."cross the street, talk to him."

So I did.  Turns out he is originally from Texas and moving back.  He wants to sell the house but not use a realtor.  He just wants to get his money out of it and go.... I asked if I could see the house.  I've always wanted to "flip" a house or buy an investment property to rent.  But more, I was curious as to what it looked like not having been inside since I was a child.

It's a 100+ year old colonial farm house in need of a lot of cosmetic and other work!  Like I said I was just curious.  We chatted.  He informed me of what he would like to get for the house and asked me to share the information with anyone I knew that might be interested.

I thanked him for allowing me to wander through my childhood and continued on up the hill to what was my Grand mother's house.  They weren't home.  Will need to cross that bridge another day.

A week later.  I've discussed my desires in depth with my mother, who supports me one hundred percent.  I've had my cousin who is a contractor walk through the home with me.  I've had another cousin who is a home inspector inspect the house and provide me with a report.  I am pre-approved.  I negotiated a slightly lower price due to some unexpected findings.  And now, have a signed agreement of sale pending the completion of the mortgage, which seems to be just a matter of time.  We hope to be closing in two weeks.  :)

God whispers.  Listen to him.  It just may change your life in the matter of time it takes to cross a street.

Had I not had the courage to act on the first whisper the moment it happened....I may have missed out on an amazing opportunity.

God whispers indeed.

4 comments:

lime said...

you're so right on this. it's been a process of learning to listen to the whispers for me too. so glad you listened and an exciting new opportunity opened for you as a result.

~Dragonfly~* said...

Listen to them Lime....good or bad....God speaks in whispers.....you may stumble onto something exceptional....or if it's bad, by my perception....as MY mother always says, "rejection is God 's protection!"

It's not always easy to listen..... It I am learning to trust ....a big syep for me.

You are a strong woman. You can do it!!!

Have you ever read The Hiding Place? Corrie ten Boom? Powerful.

Owl said...

It takes boldness and a measure of faith to trust God to lead when it might seem a bit unusual or uncomfortable. I'm glad you listened. In contrast to all the powerful forces of nature, earthquakes, wind and fire, the whisper- the still, small voice - is the way God is described in 1 Kings 19:12. And that voice, when acted upon, is the most powerful force in the world. Very cool, Dragonfly! Congrats on your new adventure!!! :-))

lime said...

ah, yes. i have read that book. corrie ten boom is truly inspiring. thanks for reminding me and for the encouragement.