Sunday, October 28, 2012

Preparing for Disaster...hopeful or just plain stupid?

The sky is dark. There is a truly eerie feeling to the night.  Several convoys of emergency assistance vehicles from out of the area have arrived in preparation to help when needed.  At times there is an unnerving calm broken only by increasingly intense gusts of wind.

The storm is predicted to pass directly over us.

We are told to prepare for 80 mph winds, nonstop rain, flooding, power outages that could last for 7-10 days.

We have been advised to stock up on batteries, bottled water, non-perishable food, fill cars with gas, get propane, firewood, tie down furniture.....

So what did I do?  Well, my freezer was empty....I mean, nothing but ice, empty!  My son is home to visit and requires feeding, several times a day.  So today I decided to do one of my marathon cookings!!!  I made a pork roast and saurkraut in the crock pot, a large pot of Kartouffle soupe (filled 33 containers), roasted sausage, apples and squash, made pesto, grilled chicken thighs and zucchini, and turned 5lbs of ground pork into sweet breakfast patties (mmmmm...white wine, white pepper, sage, garlic.....)

I filled ziplock bags with water and put them in the freezer.  Filled three gallon containers with water and put them in the fridge. And will fill the tub as soon as I finish showering in the morning.

 I made 3 more oil lamps.

And I bought peanut butter....just in case.

So, now my freezer overfloweth!!!  Fabulous, as long as we don't lose power!  If we do....we eat really well for about three days then invite everyone we know over for a feast!!!  After that...it's peanut butter and crackers.

I don't buy processed foods.  My motto is buy local, eat fresh.

But I can't help but wonder if my cookfest was my method of defiance and refusal to think of  anything but beyond the rain and onto the sunshine when it's over!

Or am I just being stupid?


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Dragonfly,
Glad to hear you are hunkering down. Water and heat are the two most important things and it sounds like you are preparing as best you can. Glad to hear your son is there - always best to have a buddy!
Your feast sounds wonderful!! Maybe even by candlelight, wow!! I too am hopeful you will weather the storm intact. I lived in Tampa in 2004 when several Hurricanes decided to make their way across Florida. Am anxious to hear how you fare. Will be thinking about you and praying that the worst will pass you by.

~Dragonfly~* said...

I forgot to mention that I also picked up a .38 special!!!

But the boy and I decided we'd best have more than peanut butter as they are warning more and more that we will be out of electricity....possibly through Friday. I was foolish to cook. Oh well. Containers of water are everywhere as I remembered I also need water for the dog.

At least I believe we are far enough east that we will not see the two foot of snow, also predicted.

Just praying the roof stays on!!! Dang windy already....but then I think that is good....hopefully it will knock off as many leaves as possible and save a few trees. The leaves act like little sails. Staked one tree already.

Thanks for the well wishes. Does the heart good to know others survived similar situations. Dang Frankenstorm!!!!

lime said...

we had a bunch in the freezer so i have containers of water frozen hoping to stall spoilage if we lose power. big pot of turkey rice soup in the stove. fortunately it's gas so we can continue to cook. the cleanup will be a challenge though since we have a well and lose water when the power goes.

~Dragonfly~* said...

Think I was more stupid than hopeful. I too have lots of frozen water in there, again, hoping for the best. They say we may be out of power for 7-10 days. No gas stove...but gas grill. Lots of water in the fridge too.

We were standing outside last night experiencing the fierce winds watching the transformers blow in the distance lighting the sky a very eerie green!!! 15 or more went in the short time we were out there.

Be safe my friend.

Stealing wifi from a closed Starbucks....need to pee...time to go home!!! :)