Saturday, September 22, 2012

The Story of Joshua (part three)

After my visit, Joshua's great grandmother and I kept in touch. She asked if I would be willing to testify on Joshua's behalf? Joshua's father intended to file for full custody once the PFA expired.

Of course. I could only testify as to his academic progress and regress, but yes, I could testify. I let her know the dates that I would be out of the country.

And then I didn't hear from her again.....(summer ended, the school year started)....until a week and a half ago.

I received an email. With the PFA expired, Joshua's father had gone up to visit. The children were covered with bruises. He took both of them immediately to the police station where the children finally opened up about all the abuse they had been suffering at the hands of their mother and mother's girlfriend. An emergency PFA was placed on the mother and girlfriend. They are not even allowed to speak to the children. And Joshua's dad was going to be enrolling the kids back in school. Joshua would be in school the next day.

I didn't know if I should cry or jump for joy. I opted for both.

The next morning I was busy with my class. Joshua was now in first grade. All I could think of was how can I get down to his room to see him?

Finally it was lunch time. After dropping off my students I headed straight for his room. His class was about to get ready to go for lunch. He sat roughly eight feet from me. I was looking at his back.

His teacher and I caught eyes. All I was able to get out was, "Excuse me, I hope you don't mind...." without waiting for his teacher's permission he was up and in my arms seeking my reassurance as much as I was seeking his.

With his arms wrapped tightly around my neck he whispered into my ear that he still has the rock I gave him, but it is at his mother's house. I assured him I would get him another one. I whispered into his ear that I love him and glad that he is safe now. He had to get ready for lunch.

Later in the day I was walking my class back from their specials and noticed that his class would be coming in the door right in front of us....we could hurry and pass before they started to come in, or wait until they passed.....I guessed we could wait a little. :)

As his class filed through the door I watched and waited for him to realize I was there. Our eyes met. His smile has not yet returned, but he held my eyes....and then.....as he passed, we both reached out our hands and squeezed each other's as long as we could. He looked back to see if I was still there and watching, I was. That was a Friday.

Monday morning I made sure I had his new rock with me. I had intended to leave it on his desk for him.....but the day got away from me and I went home sick that I hadn't fulfilled my promise.

The following morning, without hesitation, I went directly to his room and asked permission to leave the rock on his desk. Promise fulfilled. I later learned that his eyes lit up when he saw it and he carried it in his pocket and talked about it all day!

Wednesday I went out to the playground when his class was out and my class was at gym. He gladly left his kick ball game to get a hug.

On Friday, I made a point to see him to reassure him that I would indeed see him on Monday, that he was coming back. I felt sick when Monday came and every time I was able to seek him out, he was not around. But, I did see him on Tuesday and we talked about missing each other on Monday...and laughed. I want him to feel safe that he will return and not be swept away, his world pulled out from under him, again.

This past Monday I received an email from his great grandmother that Joshua had a surprise for me and could they please come in before school one day. Of course. We settled for Thursday.

Thursday morning came and in they walked with a card, a piece of the most amazing chocolate/banana/almond cake, an antique red vase from Japan with a beautiful single white rose that bloomed throughout the day, which came from a rose bush that has been in their family since the early/mid 1800's.....and....a container of strawberries clean and ready to be shared!



Somehow they had found out that my birthday was on Friday and they wanted to do something for me.

His great grandmother wished me a happy birthday and then left Joshua with me for us to spend the morning together before the kids came in!!!

We played the Snail's Pace Race and Tic,Tac,Toe on the milk and cookies board taking turns being the cookies! We shared our strawberries and he sat on my lap to read a story. HE read to me!!!!

We spent our last few minutes talking about everything we used to do in our room. I was amazed he remembered so much....and wanted to talk to me about it.

And then we were off to our respective days.


A sadness remains in his eyes. His smile has not yet returned. But we will get there, together.

He knows I am there for him. Down the hall, maybe, but there!


As I stated at the beginning of this saga...as a teacher you hope for "just one" to know you made a difference.

Without a doubt, my entire career has been for THIS "just one".....but, more than me making a difference in his life....he has made a difference in mine.

*********

I had a dream that Joshua had grown into a tall handsome young man and was dressed in a cap and gown successfully graduating, giving me a hug, telling me that I mattered to him. I hope this dream comes true and I'll be able to watch him grow and remain a rock in his life, as he has become one in mine. Only Time knows....to be continued, of course.



5 comments:

lime said...

and again, i am wiping my cheeks. i'm so deeply sorry for the pain that poor child has endured. i am so glad he has people around him who truly love him and invest in him. praying for his smile to return and for him to have the strength and dignity of a tiger. may that dream of yours come true in great ways you cannot even imagine right now.

~Dragonfly~* said...

Lime, I love this little boy, so much! If I could adopt him, I would....and that's saying a lot considering my kids are now all grown and out! :). I'm just so happy he is finally safe. Thank you for the prayers on his behalf.

You know I write to help process my thoughts and emotions....and this story just HAD to get out!!!! Thanks for reading. I'm flattered that my words moved you.

lime said...

well, there are some children from my life long ago and far away..joshua type children...two in particular for whom i have prayed all these years. they'd be adults now and i don't know where they are.

i'm grateful you shared.

~Dragonfly~* said...

I'm curious if you read part two, Lime? It would seem that because I posted two posts in one day that those people reading missed the part in the middle.....

I pray those for whom you pray are safe.

lime said...

yes, i read it. i only commented on this one though. and thanks for your prayers for the ones i worry for.