Saturday, June 12, 2010

Baffling box elders!!!!

Around my house it's pretty much "live and let live" unless you are a spider in my sink, bathtub or crawling over the ceiling above me at 2 a.m. ready to conduct a covert operation by sliding down a strand of webbing to attack!

Recently, during a friend's visit, notice was taken of the little red critters that were making their way up the side of the grill, I suspect to get first dibs on dinner. I was asked what they were, but honestly had never taken the time to figure it out. I was aware that I had box elder bugs, but these seemed to be different. I simply stated that I didn't know but showed my guest how they are everywhere! I said, "just watch the rocks... they start to move." Sure enough when you take the time to truly look, the river rocks that surround my house are crawling with little red bugs.... all rather similar, but varying in size and detail.

I woke the following morning to an e-mail containing the identification of my little red guests.... they are... the... "ever changing box elder nymphs."

I immediately went outside. Upon closer examination I wondered how I could have ever missed the connection?!?! Of course they were!! Although varying in size and shape they all had that tell tale candy red abdomen with the bright yellow spot in the center as though kissed by the sun. Even the tiniest of nymphs had the sun spot.






Now my curiosity was ignited!
In my search to find out "what eats box elder bugs?" This is what I found out....

~ We are their only natural predator.
~ They increase in numbers (due to the males) over a ten year cycle and apparently we are on year ten, which would explain why I've been seeing more and more of them as of late.
~ They will travel for several miles to find a warm place to stay for the winter.
~ They will enter your home if they can get in.
~ Their scat will stain your curtains and if you squash them they emit an offensive odor.



~ They like rocks and the crevices they contain.
~ They eat Box elder and Maple tree seeds.
~ Their piercing sucking proboscis can penetrate flesh and cause an irritation.



~ They can drown.
~ Once the first frost hits, they will go away in search of a warm winter shelter.



Mostly, I just find them fascinating to watch. They are exceptionally sensitive to vibrations and scatter rather quickly.

My research did also present various ways to rid your house of them... but the way I see it... I've got flower beds and river rocks full of Maple tree seeds... start munching already!!!

4 comments:

lime said...

that last picture is really a great shot. what a ton of those critters though!

~Dragonfly~* said...

They really crack me up to watch them. They have a lot of character... and Yes, there are a lot of them!!!

Johnny Blogger said...

These things live in my couch!

~Dragonfly~* said...

That's not the only thing that lives in your couch!!! I've seen your couch, remember?!?!? Time to burn that thing!!!