Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Lost Diamonds....

I've never been one much for fancy jewelry. I've never had the money to splurge on diamonds, nor have the men in my life... I didn't mind. But there was one thing I did always secretly wish for.... a pair of diamond stud earrings... nothing terribly big, just simple elegance, given out of love.

A few years ago, I got my wish. Not only was I given diamond stud earrings, they were presented at the conclusion of a surprise birthday party with both my family and his in attendance.

It was at the moment that I put the diamonds in my ears that I understood the phrase, "Diamonds are a girl's best friend." But it wasn't the crystals set in white gold that the phrase spoke of.... it was my best friend.... the man whom I was dating... he was my diamond, my best friend.... and the crystals in my ears represented that friendship. It was that connection that made the diamonds so special to me.

I wore the earrings every day since receiving them.... even after the friendship came to a hurtful conclusion. They remained a symbol of what is important and the possibilities, if one puts for the effort.

A few days ago, after getting out of the shower and looking in the mirror, I realized that I had lost one of the diamonds. It must have gotten caught when I was washing my hair and swept down the drain with the lather.

My head and heart sank. I felt sad and defeated.... one last connection to the future lost to the past. Some days I feel that no matter how diligent I am, I am traveling backwards yet forced to go forward.

It got me thinking...

I've lost several diamonds over the years... some see only lumps of coal... but when I can see the good and potential in a person's heart, even if others or they themselves can't... then that is a stone to cherish.

I am grateful for all the diamonds/coal that I've found along my path of life... they've added sparkle, warmth or both.

5 comments:

kimmyk said...

I'm not a diamond sort of girl...but I agree about the lumps of coals we meet along the way on our walk in life.

Sorry you lost your earring...such a horrible feeling and the rush of anxiety sucks.

Maybe it will turn up somewhere unexpected...

~Dragonfly~* said...

Thank you KK... for the kind comments and word of encouragement...

lime said...

though i know it was distressing to discover you'd lost one of the studs it made me think that you may have lost the friend but you still had your own shining self left. maybe make the remaining earring into a simple pendant. :)

Johnny Blogger said...

I think Lime has a profound interpretation here. A shiny, hard half...missing its other...

46

~Dragonfly~* said...

Thank you Lime and 46... your thoughts are kind and encouraging.... and yes, profound.