Thursday, August 6, 2009

Abbey strikes again....

It really is quite curious... If it is a groundhog or feral cat and Abbey spots it... she grabs it with the intent to shake the life out of it... and usually does, rather quickly.

But when it comes to the babies.... like bunnies and birds or toads, she seems more curious and playful than anything. She could easily close her jaws around them and end their lives... but instead she carries them around in her mouth with the goofiest look on her face like she just got caught with her paws in the cookie jar. She does not intentionally hurt them.

In fact, when the baby bunnies decided to disperse, just as she was going outside, it was rather comical to watch her run back and forth in four different directions trying to pounce on them as they hopped away.

But this time I find myself a bit helpless. Somehow she ended up with a baby mocking bird in her mouth. The poor thing was smothered in doggy drool, and calling for its mom. The bird itself was not injured, Ben was sure to check it out thoroughly... but I have no idea from where it came. I searched all the trees and nesting boxes nearby and am unable to find the nest from which it fell.

So, much to my dismay, I made a makeshift nest in some taller grasses close to where Abbey was spotted and left the little one in hopes that its mom will find it and continue to bring it food until it is fully feathered and able to fly.

It's got a lot of beak to grow into!!!



4 comments:

~Dragonfly~* said...

Curiosity got the best of me... I had to go check... the little guy is gone. Hopefully he didn't end up as food, but got fed.

I do what I can.

DF

Johnny Blogger said...

Check the local Chinese Restaurants. Abbey may have cut a deal with a few of them...birds, rabbits, feral cats, woodchucks and all...just a thought.

46

~Dragonfly~* said...

If she's cut a deal.... she's going to start paying rent!!! And all that food she eats.... not on the house any more!!!!

Maybe I should bring her to visit so she can rid you of your unwanted (under the) house guests!!!

DF

lime said...

poor thing does look a wee bit traumatized.