Sunday, January 24, 2010

Beauty found.....

Last weekend I traveled to Cambridge, MA to finally celebrate Christmas with my son and his wife. I'm not one to go into cities. I find them loud, bright, confusing, scary, dirty, filled with too many people and not enough green. I don't like that at night when I look up stars are replaced by street lights and owl's hoots are drowned out by the sounds of cars and sirens.

I usually "stop by" more than stay and visit... but this trip was done so in the spirit of Christmas and so I was determined, this time, to find the beauty in my son's environment.

It began with my children themselves.... they had left their little tree up and decorated, had garland hanging from the fireplace and played Christmas music to set the mood. I'm not sure if they just hadn't yet made the time to un-decorate... but I like to think that they kept it up waiting for me. The beauty I found there was in their hearts.

The following morning we decided to go to the Science Museum and Aquarium. We talked about taking the T (train/subway) but I really wanted to walk. Not only had I never been on a USA subway before, but I wanted to see Cambridge, even if the Museum was 2 1/2 miles away....the sun was shining brightly and that's really not all that far... at least not when I'm walking amongst the corn fields.

After the Museum and eating lunch, we took the T (I would have walked 5 more miles to avoid it) due to the late hour and wanting to get as much time in the Aquarium as possible.

By the time we left the Aquarium it had gotten dark but even then... I was determined to see the beauty in the city. I found it... but I must admit... my heart pounded as we had to take a long desolate walk back to the train station... where surprisingly, I found comfort once inside.

The train ride back to Harvard Square was much more quiet and less crowded. I found myself unable to take my eyes off a gentleman that entered the train with us. He was handsome, my age at least, a bit gray around the temples wearing a long wool dark gray trench coat and backpack. He seemed sad... lonely. His face, although handsome, had deep creases around his mouth that made him look as though he held a perpetual frown. I couldn't help but think how much more handsome he would look if he would just smile..... He must have felt my eyes upon him because he looked my way. I smiled at him and he replied in kind.... he was indeed handsome with a smile upon his face... but it was fleeting. His eyes shifted, his face once again solemn and then he was gone walking down the street as the train pulled away...I unable to see anything other than his backpack. But it was there... the beauty was there and I couldn't help but be excited to get back to the apartment and review the images I had captured... some only in my mind... but some good enough to share.

The following day Aaron and I once again walked through the city down by the river. The sun was no longer shining as a storm was heading our way the clouds announcing it's arrival. But walk we did... find more beauty, I did.

Part of me did not want to leave. I wanted to continue to explore like a curious child. But, I'll be back... and next time with eager anticipation! Beauty really can be found where ever you go... you just have to look for it.















Ever so gentle, beautiful and graceful... The Leafy Sea Dragon.....



A little extra jelly.....



5 comments:

Johnny Blogger said...

I love the blue and the Jellyfish...I wish I had a Peanut-ButterBird.

46 aka JB

~Dragonfly~* said...

You are too funny 46! I too love the blue hew.... very peaceful.... shows the real beauty of the jelly fish...

lime said...

that jellyfish shot is really quite good!

i enjoy the boston/cambridge area. as much as i like to walk i do get a kick out of the T too.

~Dragonfly~* said...

I must give credit where credit is due.... the jelly fish shot was one of Aaron's photos. I have some too, but I liked the composition of his a bit better... although I turned the photo, it was actually swimming down!! Perhaps I'll post one of mine to compare.

He has a good eye.

Johnny Blogger said...

..he has a good eye." and a great mom...she's kinda haught too...

ha..